1.21.2012

FEATURED ARTIST: MORGAN "THE CEO"

Morgan  
 MORGAN, a calculated, magnetic phenom of an emcee, trailblazing in the footsteps of Hip Hop’s revered greats is not only a viable participant in DC’s overflowing indie music community, but is also the CEO of FM Media Group, creating the company in 2009 to provide professional level artistic work to clients, as well as provide additional opportunities for exposure to fellow artists and musicians.

By far one of the most humble people you will ever meet, Morgan is a 26 year old female hip hop artist from Washington, DC.  A self-proclaimed “lyrical poet", MORGAN looks towards the infamous greats for inspiration, but does not rely on their sound to create her own. “I have artists that I look up to and I plan to be better than them; Or at least respected enough to stand next to them." Morgan is a calculated, magnetic phenom of an emcee, trailblazing in the footsteps of Hip Hop’s revered greats, she is nothing short of avant-garde, challenging the status quo and pushing forth in an industry that considers her second to her male counterparts. She’s been described as an electric, mesmerizing, intelligent female emcee. If you asked her opinion of how she views herself, she simply states, “ I'm a musician. I don't just rap. I love music. I love the artistry in itself. And don't call me a femcee, don't box me in.” After every show she leaves supporters and newcomers alike pleased and excited by her performance and the refreshing guttural "realness" of her sound and lyricism. MORGAN has undoubtedly prepared herself for the next step in her journey. Cradling a keen sense of self, an unnaturally gritty approach and bare-bones delivery, MORGAN is most certainly NOT your average chick...no matter how unhumble that sounds.  MORGAN is here...and definitely to stay. 

Bosslady's Interview



Q. Everyone has a story to tell...what was your first memory of music?

A. The first genre of music I was introduced to was classical music.  I was playing the violin at the age of 5. I played several instruments - violin, oboe, saxophone, piano, and drums. My mother had my brother and I in an orchestra, it was pretty cool.

Q. What made you decide to become an artist?

A. Originally I was a producer. I'm really into orchestration.  I've played so many music instruments that it was only right to start producing music. I stopped producing because I couldn't find people to rap over my beats and intrumentals weren't going to get me on the radio. It's possible that I was pretty wack at making beats too. Luckily for me I wrote poetry occasionally, so I just decided to write raps instead. This was about 5 years ago.  I've always been a huge lover of HipHop. When I was young I secretly wanted to be a rapper, I just never acted on it.

Q. Are there any major artists or producers you would like to do any work with?

A. I don't have anyone specifically that I would like to work with. I'm open to work with anyone, any genre.

Q.You have an array of things you do...if you had to choose one, what would that be?

A. I definitely do some things that I prefer over others.  I'm an artist first, it's my outlet. It gives me an opportunity to express what I want and be as creative as I want.  I will say that being a music artist isn't the only thing I want to do in life, that's why I started my media company.  The idea was to provide services for others while doing the things that we (my business partner and I) love. Another main focus is to potentially create jobs.  Too many people are out here losing their jobs and I see this as an opportunity to help... you know, help the economy. It will definitely take some time to get to that point but it will.  My vision for my company is huge. Plus, there's no better feeling than being your own boss. :-)

Q. What or who has been your greatest inspiration? Motivation?

A. My mother has definitely been an inspiration. She encourages and believes in me.  The main thing that motivates me and keeps me pushing is the thought of not wanting to be complacent. I have a vision of a better life and I'm going to work really hard to get there.

Q.At what point in your career did you decide to broaden your talents and create your company (FMMEDIAGROUP)?

A. I just got extremely tired of working for others.  I felt like it was holding me back. I had so many ideas and I had the talent so why not combine the two and start your own.  I eventually met Sabrina (my business partner) and she was in the same position so we just went for it.

Q. What goals do you have for Morgan the Artist, and what goals do you have for your business?

A. As a music artist, my goal right now is to keep creating music while staying true to myself and also to be heard.  I feel that once I get more exposure, my successes will come to play.  For my company, I want us to hopefully leave lasting impressions on the people we work with and provide them with quality work and just to continue to be creative and do the things that we love doing... which is producing art in all forms.   

Q. What would you say to our youth today who want to become artists?

A. Never put yourself in a box or allow others to do so.  Being an artist gives you the opportunity to do what YOU love. Find a way to stand out while continuing to be yourself. And don't just dream, make a plan and work towards it. Don't expect anything to just be given to you.

Q. Give me one word to describe YOU?

A. Awesome ...lol



 https://twitter.com/MORGANtheCEO
http://morgantheceo.bandcamp.com/  
http://www.reverbnation.com/MORGANtheCEO

http://www.fmmediagroup.com/

FM Media Group is an arts based media company providing high quality, professional level artistic pieces for a boutique client base citing customary promotional need. We utilize photography, commercial design, and videography to create materials for marketing and promotions campaigns, and to raise the level of identity, awareness and consistency of our clients and affiliates. We also provide social media support, offering full and partial media plans for marketing in an effort to create a successful and comprehensive online presence for our clients. As a part of our genuine love for great music, we also provide exposure opportunities to independent artists through feature posts on our company blog.
Founder/CEO, Morgan – a recognized musician, emcee and degreed videographer – and President/Art Director, Sabrina Renée – a nationally published photographer and professional graphic designer- have several years of combined industry experience, working for the likes of VH1, BET, Radio One, the American Black Film Festival & Charles Garris, formerly of the Go-Go Band ‘Rare Essence.’

No comments:

Post a Comment